Thursday 6 January 2011

Sixties styling

The sixties was a time for bands in slick suits and radical political change as a wave of countries gained independence from their European rulers. 

This subversive and stimulating era was reflected in the avant-garde aesthetics worn by those who set the style agenda. 

Up until Sunday, at my friend's sixties themed 21st birthday, I forgot how much the decade excites me and my style and so I thought I would share my top swinging icons.

Jane Birkin:


 She wowed me in the controversial sixties film Blow-Up and is the reason I purchased my first navy Breton top. 

Since her singing and acting days she has even had a Hermés bag designed for her which has become one of the best-selling accessories in the fashion house.

Pattie Boyd:


Model, groupie and socialite. This former wife of Eric Clapton was a celebrated British model who graced the covers of UK and Italian Vogue. 

Rifling through scores of her images, I feel compelled to wear nothing but dresses all day and every day.

Françoise Hardy:


The French singer, actor and-err... astrologer has impeccable Parisian taste that is iconic even in our neck of the woods. 

Muse to Bob Dylan and Nicolas Ghesquière, head of the couture house at Balenciaga, it's no wonder I can waste hours googling her whilst listening to Ce Petit Coeur.

Brigitte Bardot:


The sex-kitten of the sixties, this French beauty's style remains an inspiration today. 

She embodied the carefree liberating era whilst setting the trend for beehives and thick cat eye-liner detail

Donning some sixties swagger on Sunday with some pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment